Tuesday, August 30, 2005

First night of law school

Tonight I had my first law school class. WOW! It was amazing. I loved it. I am so ready for this career path.

I gave a brief tonight, and I seemed to be received well by the professor. She didn’t correct me…so that was a good sign. She is the Chief Public Defender for Sonoma County. It’s funny that she is my professor, as today I was just reading a note today from my friend Cassandra about what my morals can handle when it comes to the law. Could I defend a criminal I don’t morally support? I asked the professor how she deals with that, and she said..well I don’t always support them, or think they deserve to get off, or that they are even good people. But the law states that EVERY person is entitled to a fair trial…and someone has to represent these people…so it might as well be me.

What a profound answer. I still couldn’t do it.

Here’s a link to my first case brief tonight on Robinson v. California.

Don’t laugh…I hate my voice on these recorder thingys.

http://1thinlayer.com/my_first_law_school_brief.mp3

thankfully I finished most of the 120 pages and the 12 cases I needed to brief today. So I’m ok…I’m tired. But relieved and happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger rich said...

Good for you Ryan. You sound all smart and stuff.

August 31, 2005 1:14 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Have you finished your homework for Contracts class tonight? Only 2 cases to brief, but they're pretty intense.

I hear our Contracts teacher isn't quite as "friendly" as the Crim Law teacher. Yikes! I'm a bit nervous...

August 31, 2005 7:48 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Wow--Ok, now you have to comment on the Contracts class last night. I thought it was fantastic! I think we got REALLY lucky with our teachers this year. :)

So glad to see so many of the "old gang" there.

September 01, 2005 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home